Friday 11 June 2010

World Cup Footie:The Beautiful Game is Back!

The Beautiful Game has arrived in South Africa and it is raring to go, reaching out to billions of people around the globe. I sat enthralled watching the opening ceremony last night. Shakira shaking her stuff and singing "Waka waka", the World Cup theme song, really stood out. The sheer infectious enthusiasm displayed by all the artists was amazing and I loved it all.

I urge you to go to the fantastic sites below, where you will find a wealth of activities, resources all dealing with South Africa World Cup 2010.

Italy or England?

You may be wondering which team I will be supporting. Well, it will be both of them! Having lived in England all my life and now living in Italy for the past 2 years, my heart is divided. I decided I didn't want to break it into 2 pieces, so this seems to be the best option and I feel fine about supporting 2 teams equally. Will the Italian manager Fabio Capello lead England to World Cup glory? Will Marcello Lippi lead Italy to a back-to-back World Cup victory? Holders Italy are ready to regain the trophy, according to this article from the Telegraph.

I'm off to watch the opening game between South Africa and Mexico in a short while. May the best team win!

6 comments:

popps said...

You can't support two teams, well , not for the whole competition.
What if they have to play against each other?
And what do you think of this wicked rumour that is circulating that Capello is actually an Italian plot to ensure that one of their principal rivals is compromised?

Janet Bianchini said...

I think I can support 2 teams as I have no option really :)If they have to play against each other, then I would have to make a difficult decision...

As for the rumour about Capello's motives for being England coach, well, I think it's a bit far-fetched and I don't believe it's true.

I will try to do your lovely World Cup quiz. Is there a time limit?

popps said...

time limit?
End of the competition?

Janet Bianchini said...

Sounds fair enough! What's the prize??

popps said...

Well i had thought people might do it for the fun, the glory, the joy of discovery but....
.....if you really need a prize.....
...do you?

Janet Bianchini said...

No, of course not. Only joking:)

I agree, the fun, the joy of discovery, the glory, the buzz of finding out the unknown, all add to the excitement. Game on!