Tuesday 21 July 2009

Words matter!

My inbox today contained access to a very interesting video from CreativityWorks. I watched it because I had never heard of the Mehrabian rule before and so I was intrigued to find out what it was. The importance of words over gestures is an important part of my language teaching. I noticed the use of quite a few phrasal verbs such as "to let someone down". I was teaching phrasals earlier today and had stressed the importance of learning them. This short talk is an excellent example of the phrasal verb "to get your message across".

Do you agree with the message of the video?

5 comments:

popps said...

I'm glad you posted this, it clears up something for me that started here - http://www.vickihollett.com/?p=963

Janet Bianchini said...

Thank you very much for the link. I have just read through Vicki's posting and found it very interesting. Good food for thought.

Alex Case said...

Thanks so much for this. I've always known that statistic as it is usually used was poppycock and wondered where it came from, and now I know. Will be bringing this up in conversation at least once a month!

Vicki Hollett said...

Oh great find, Janet. We'd been wondering where these stats could have come from and you found the source!
Thank you.

Janet Bianchini said...

I'm so glad I was able to help. I didn't really find the source myself. It actually came to me from a link from my contacts.